1. Today is Veterans Day and most government offices will be closed, along with many colleges and some businesses. In Newport Beach, all schools, libraries, banks, post offices and the Newport Beach Civic Center will be closed in observance of the holiday.
2. On Tuesday the Newport Beach City Council will meet at 7 p.m. Read the full agenda here.
3. If you drive Pacific Coast Highway, be forewarned of emergency construction work near Crystal Cove State Park. The northbound traffic will be reduced to one lane between Laguna Beach and Newport Beach to remove obstructions created by a rockslide. Work should be completed by December.
4. The South Coast Air Quality Management District will meet Friday to
discuss proposals for gas or propane fueled fire rings to potentially
replace the traditional wood burning fire pits at Corona del Mar State
Beach and near the Balboa Pier. The meeting will be held at noon at
21865 Copley Dr. in Diamond Bar.
5. On Wednesday from 10-11 a.m. a UCI Medical Lecture will be held at the OASIS Senior Center, 801 Narcissus Ave. in Corona del Mar. The lecture will focus on varicose veins and be led by Dr. Nii-Kabu Kabutey, a UC Irvine Health Vascular Surgeon. Reservations are not required for the free presentation. Kabutey will discuss the causes of varicose veins and what treatment options are available to improve appearance and treat the medical condition.