Even though temperatures reached 100 degrees in Newport Beach and USC was playing Stanford, the 24th Annual Taste of Newport was still the place to be on Saturday night.
Crowds of locals gathered above Fashion Island for the foodie event, featuring more than 30 restaurants from across Orange County. Blondie and Devo headlined the evening, performing their greatest hits, such as "Heart of Glass" and "Whip It." Deborah Harry even covered a few Beastie Boys and Ellie Golding songs.
Restaurants were offering the best in small bites to feed the attendees. Other places, including Ruby's and Casey's Cupcakes, tempted locals with their desserts.
Here is a Top 10 List of the best dishes from Taste of Newport:
- Coliseum Pool & Grill at Pelican Hill: Pan-seared Kobe Beef Burger
- Kitayama: Spicy Lobster Hand Roll and Crab Cake
- P.F. Chang's: Chang's BBQ Ribs and Crispy Green Beans
- Pizzeria Mozza: Mozza Caprese and Pane Bianco
- Port Restaurant & Bar: Chicken Breast Kabob with Saffron Basmati Rice
- Rockin Baja: Spicy Ahi Taco and Shrimp and Carne Asada Taco
- Royal Thai Cuisine: Chicken Satay and Pad Thai Noodles
- Ruby's Diner: Hot Fudge Sundae and White Chocolate Raspberry Shake
- Sabatino's: World Famous Sausage Sandwich
- Casey's Cupcakes: Smokin' Smores and Rockin' Red Velvet Cupcakes
The most popular tents at Taste of Newport were the Stella Lounge and the Grey Goose Tent. Stella Lounge featured Stella, Hoegaarden and Leffe on draft, served in beer glasses. The Grey Goose tent had lines hugging around entrance, reminiscent of Disneyland, and was serving specialty martinis, including something called the Spicy Cougar.
The Newport Beach Film Festival had a booth, featuring a mini red carpet step-and-repeat, where wanna-be starlets could get their photograph taken on the red carpet.
The Chef's Cooking Pavilion had local chefs performing demonstrations of their favorite dishes for a captive audience. Chefs Pascal Olhats from Brasserie Pascal and Chef Alfred Prasad of Tamarind of London were among the 12 chefs who appeared during the three-day event.