The schedule includes:
• JSerra (4-0), No. 7 in this week's Orange County Top 10, seems to live and die by the big play, and thus far, the Lions have been living large. But facing No. 5 Trabuco Hills (4-1), they get their toughest test to date—an opponent comparable to the Trinity League competition they will face. Nick Robinson, Casey Eugenio and Dante Pettis have been making those big plays and JSerra has been winning despite turnovers and penalties—the kind of mistakes that will kill the Lions in league. It will likely kill the Lions against Trabuco Hills, which lost to Santa Margarita Catholic last week, 28-26. SMCHS is in the Trinity League with JSerra. In that game, Trabuco showed that it had big play capabilities too, with Tommy Kelly, Jake Breeland and Connor O'Malley. Also, the Mustangs were a lot more poised than JSerra has been. This could be a great game.
• El Toro (2-3) at Claremont (1-3) is interesting for one reason only: To see what kind of numbers Trey Tinsley and the El Toro offense up up. Tinsley set a national record last week with 50 completed passes (out of 75 attempts) in a 42-35 victory over Villa Park. Claremont doesn't figure to be nearly so tough, though we suspect that if it's a blowout, Tinsley's numbers won't come close to a week ago.
• Mission Viejo (5-0) vs. Redlands East Valley (1-3) at Citrus Valley High may not be the most competitive game, but it's notable because REV is a solid program playing at home. You have to credit the Wildcats for taking on the Diablos when so many Orange County teams won't. The Wildcats' three losses, in succession, have been to Ventura St. Bonaventure, Vista Murietta and Orange Lutheran—all ranked in the state top 30 by Maxpreps. Mission is ranked No. 6 in the state, but No. 1 in Orange County.
Here is the Week 5 football schedule for teams in Patch cities in Orange County. Games begin at 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
Friday, Oct. 4
- JSerra at Trabuco Hills
- El Toro at Claremont
- Mission Viejo vs. Redlands East Valley at Redlands Citrus Valley
- San Clemente vs. Edison at Huntington Beach
- Saddleback Valley Christian at Aliso Niguel
- Capistrano Valley vs. Marina at Westminster
- Irvine at Dana Hills
- El Segundo at Laguna Hills
- San Juan Hills at Goleta Dos Pueblos
- Los Alamitos at La Verne Damien
- Manhattan Beach Mira Costa at Newport Harbor
- Northwood at Laguna Beach
- Yermo Silver Valley at Sage Hill
- Los Angeles Frederick Douglass Academy at St. Margaret’s
- Crean Lutheran vs. Capistrano Valley Christian at San Clemente, 7:30