A Newport Beach house caught fire Sunday when burning debris from a fireplace landed on the roof, but no one was injured, a fire captain reported.
The fire broke out about 9:19 p.m. at a two-story home in the 1800 block of Port Carlow Place, according to Newport Beach Fire Capt. Mike Liberto. Approximately 20 firefighters responded to the scene, confirmed the residents had been safely evacuated and had the fire under control within 20 minutes.
A portion of the roof and house were damaged, but a majority of the home and its contents were saved by the quick work of the firefighting crews, Liberto said.
The fire caused about $100,000 of damage.
Liberto said a preliminary investigation shows the fire most likely started when burning debris from the fireplace escaped from the chimney, due to the lack of a spark arrestor, and landed on the shingle roof.
The Newport Beach Fire Department said residents should make sure their fireplace and chimney have been inspected and are maintained to avoid similar fires.
Three fire engines, two truck companies, one paramedic rescue unit, two battalion chief units and firefighters from the Orange County Fire Authority responded to the fire.