A 50-year-old Newport Beach man who raped a woman he invited to his home, then held off police for hours, was sentenced today to 12 years in prison.
David Charles Wilson pleaded guilty Sept. 21 to felony rape and forcible oral copulation charges and a misdemeanor count of resisting arrest. In exchange, assault with a deadly weapon, criminal threats, forcible sexual penetration, rape and false imprisonment counts were dismissed, according to Deputy District Attorney Jennifer Walker, who negotiated the plea deal with Wilson's attorney, Allan Stokke. The victim was OK with the resolution of the case, Walker said.
Stokke had given the prosecutor evidence of "mental health issues'' regarding the defendant, the prosecutor said, but declined to elaborate. The victim accepted the defendant's invitation to come to his home for the first time on May 9, 2011, arriving about 10 p.m., Walker said.
The two had met a few months earlier and had been talking on the phone up until then, the prosecutor said. When she arrived, Wilson choked the woman and threatened to kill her if she did not do as he said, then raped her in his bedroom and elsewhere in the house, Walker said. The defendant also forced the victim to perform oral sex on him and otherwise sexually assaulted her, the prosecutor said.
The woman had told a friend where she was going that night, and when the friend could not reach her by phone, she drove to Wilson's house and called out to the victim, Walker said. The woman climbed through a window and ran to her friend's car.
A neighbor who heard a commotion called 911, but Wilson barricaded himself in the house, finally surrendering about 9:40 the next morning, Walker said.
-City News Service