A driver behind the wheel of a Mercedes-Benz escaped injury Tuesday after noticing smoke and flames coming from his car, a Newport Beach fire captain reported.
At 12:25 p.m. the driver of a 2003 Mercedes-Benz was traveling on Park Avenue, east of Sapphire, when he saw something unusual on the front of his car.
"He noticed a light odor of smoke and was able to see a little bit of flame coming from the front of his car," Newport Beach Fire Capt. Mike Liberto told Patch. "He pulled over, called 911 and made sure nobody else went near the car."
Responding firefighters arrived on scene within three minutes and extinguished the fire in one minute.
The fire originated behind the left front headlamp and seemed to be an electrical issue, but the investigation was still continuing Liberto said.
The car's engine compartment was damaged, but the contents of the car were saved.