Newport Beach police issued a crime alert Wednesday to warn residents about an increase in home burglaries in the Irvine Terrace Community.
The most recent burglary happened on Thursday, Oct. 10 between 10:45 and 11 a.m. at a home in the 700 block of Malabar Drive. According to police, a suspect pried open a rear sliding glass door, but fled when the resident returned home. The suspect did not have time to take any property from the home.
Another burglary took place on Saturday, Sept. 28 between 6 and 9 p.m., at a home in the 1400 block of Bonnie Doone Terrace. According to police, a suspect entered the home through an unlocked side garage door, and went into the house through an unlocked door. Police said once inside, the suspect stole three watches, four purses and jewelry from the master bedroom.
Home Safety Tips
- Always lock your windows and doors when you go out, even if for only a few minutes.
- All windows should be equipped with a secondary security lock.
- All exterior doors should be of a solid core construction and have a deadbolt lock. This includes the door leading from the garage into your home.
- These doors should also be equipped with a security strike plate using four to six, three inch screws. The screws should affix the strike plate to the home’s structure not just the frame of the door.
- Never leave a purse, wallet or other valuables in plain sight.
- If you have a safe, make sure that it is properly secured with bolts so that it cannot be easily removed.
- Always close and lock your safe, and never leave a key or combination laying around.
- If your home is equipped with an alarm, always activate it even if you’re only going out for a short walk.
- If you allow individuals such as housekeepers in your home while you are away, they should have a separate alarm code.
- If your system is setup to chime when a door or window is opened, make sure that the chime volume is loud enough to be heard throughout the residence.
- Always keep your front and rear porch lights on from dusk to dawn and use motion detector lighting along the sides of your home or areas with little foot traffic.
- Keep landscaping trimmed down around doorways, windows, and light fixtures.
- When you leave on vacation remember to call the Newport Beach Police Department for a vacation check at 949)-644-3717 or signup on line at nbpd.org.