.

Couch Fire Sparked by Sunlight Reflecting Off Makeup Mirror

A couch inside a house on Poinsettia caught fire Monday morning, but no one was injured, officials reported.

A concave style makeup mirrror. (Photo credit Getty Images)
A concave style makeup mirrror. (Photo credit Getty Images)
A couch caught fire inside a home Monday when sunlight streaming in through a window, reflected off the concave surface of a makeup mirror, a fire official reported.

The fire was reported at about 10:13 a.m. at a home in the 600 block of Poinsettia, according to Jennifer Manzella, spokeswoman for the Newport Beach Fire Department. A neighbor called 911 after hearing a smoke alarm go off, and seeing smoke coming from the house.  Responding firefighters extinguished the blaze within five minutes, which was contained to the couch located on the second story of the house.

"It appears that the fire was initiated by sunlight streaming in through a window, and reflecting off the concave surface of a makeup mirror, which was resting on the couch," Manzella said.

No one was inside the home at the time of the fire, and no injuries were reported, Manzella said.

The Newport Beach Fire Department said it is essential residents and business owners have working smoke detectors installed.

"A smoke detector, in this case, prevented additional damage to the residence and alerted neighbors to the fire," Manzella added.

Click here for today's top stories on Newport Beach-Corona Del Mar Patch.

Stay Patched in! Like Newport Beach Patch on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter and Sign up for the daily email with links to the latest local news.





Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something