A handful of vehicles in Newport Beach were broken into last week. Police say there are a few quick tips residents need to follow to make sure their vehicles and property are safe.
- Police say on Sunday, Jan. 22 around 4:15 p.m. an unknown suspect targeted a vehicle parked in the 1600 block of San Miguel Drive. The vandal smashed the victim's window, took an Apple computer and fled the scene.
- On Friday, Jan. 20, between 10:45 a.m. and 2:40 p.m. a suspect targeted a vehicle in the 2300 block of Bonita Canyon. Police say the suspect broke the car's window, as well as the windows on two nearby vehicles, and fled with a purse, digital camera, camera lenses and a video camera. The suspect fled in a silver Honda Accord, witnesses reported.
Safeguard Your Vehicle:
1. Lock and secure all doors and windows, even if you're gone for only a few minutes.
2. Don't leave any valuables in your vehicle. If you cannot take them with you, hide them from view before arriving at your destination.
3. When parking outside of your garage, treat your garage door opener as if it were a key to your home and remove it from your vehicle.
4. If your vehicle has an alarm, don't forget to activate it!
5. Always park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
6. Watch this video produced by the Newport Beach Police Department for additional safety tips.