Several home burglaries were recently reported in different parts of the city, according to Newport Beach police. Authorities say it is important for residents to take precautions to decrease the chance of becoming a victim of a residential burglary.
- A home in the 3000 block of Corte Marin was targeted by a burglar between Monday, Aug. 27 and Friday, Aug. 31. The unknown suspect entered the home possibly through an unlocked door and stole a gun, various pieces of jewelry and a Tag Heuer white metal watch.
- According to police, sometime between Monday, Aug. 27 and Tuesday, Aug. 28, an unknown suspect entered an open garage in the 900 block of Almond Place. Movie passes and a day planner was stolen from a car that was parked inside the garage, but the planner was later found on Bellis Street.
- Sometime between Saturday, Aug. 25 and Wednesday, Aug. 29, an unknown suspect entered a home on Hillsdale Drive and stole a diamond ring and two Michael Kors watches.
- Police say sometime Wednesday, Aug. 22 and Thursday, Aug. 23, an unknown suspect entered an unlocked garage in the 2900 block of Carob Street. The suspect stole money, backpack, reading glasses, movie passes and a coin purse which was taken from a car parked inside the garage. The wallet, makeup, credit cars, a backpack and a checkbook were later found on a sidewalk near the home.
Home Security Tips:
- Close and lock all doors, windows and garage door.
- All exterior doors should be equipped with a deadbolt lock, which should always be used have a security strike plate, attached with a minimum of two, three inch screws.
- If you have an alarm, always activate it when you are away.
- Use photo cells or timers to turn both interior and exterior lights on and off.
- If you are going to be out of town, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check on your home and pick up your mail. Signup for a vacation check from the police department at www.nbpd.org.
Call police immediately if you see suspicious activity in your neighborhood at 949-644-3717.