An unknown suspect broke into a Newport Beach home while the residents were sleeping, police reported.
The burglary took place at a home in the 1800 block of W. Ocean Front sometime between Wednesday, March 28 at 11 p.m. and Thursday, March 29 at 7 a.m. Police say a patio door was found unlocked and one of the victim's patio chairs had been moved to the side of the home. The burglar stole a purse, wallet, medication, cell phone and a laptop computer.
Newport Beach police spokeswoman Kathy Lowe says the department is aware of the increase in crime activity around the city.
"We have increased patrols where we have seen an increase in activity and we also have volunteers patrolling these areas," Lowe said. "We are also distributing the information through crime alerts and distributing information to make residents aware of the importance of locking doors, windows and garages."
Home Security Tips:
- Close and lock all doors, windows and garage door.
- All exterior doors should be equipped with a deadbolt lock, which should always be used have a security strike plate, attached with a minimum of two, three inch screws.
- If you have an alarm, always activate it when you are away.
- Use photo cells or timers to turn both interior and exterior lights on and off.
- If you are going to be out of town, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check on your home and pick up your mail. Signup for a vacation check from the police department at www.nbpd.org
- If you witness suspicious activity in your neighborhood, call police immediately at 949-644-3717.