A burglar tried to break into a Newport Beach home but a dead bolt did its job and kept the home secure.
The incident occurred Friday between 7:20 and 8 p.m., at a home in the 4500 block of Roxbury Road. According to police, the unknown suspect tried to pry open the sliding glass door, then tried to force open a locked door. The door frame was damaged and the alarm was activated.
Police say the door was locked with a dead bolt and stay secured even after it was pried.
Home Security Tips:
- Close and lock all doors, windows and garage door.
- All exterior doors should be equipped with a deadbolt lock, which should always be used have a security strike plate, attached with a minimum of two, three inch screws.
- If you have an alarm, always activate it when you are away.
- Use photo cells or timers to turn both interior and exterior lights on and off.
- If you are going to be out of town, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check on your home and pick up your mail. Sign-up for a vacation check from the police department at www.nbpd.org.
If you see suspicious activity, vehicles, or people call the Newport Beach Police Department immediately at 949-644-3717.