Newport Beach police recently responded to home burglaries in the Dover Shores and Mariners neighborhoods.
According to police, the burglaries occurred between Thursday, Oct. 25 and Sunday, Oct. 28.
- A home in the 2000 block of Shipway Lane was broken into when a burglar pried the victim’s sliding glass door open.
- An unknown suspect went into an unlocked, attached garage in the 1800 block of Santiago. According to police, the garage had accidentally been left open overnight. An iPad and cash were stolen from a wallet inside the victim's unlocked car.
- A home in the 2200 block of Windward Lane was broken into when an unknown suspect entered the victim’s back yard and forced open a window in the pedestrian garage door. The suspect also tried to go into the home by cutting the screen in the kitchen window and then trying to force open the window.
Home Security Tips
- Close and lock all doors, windows and garage door. All exterior doors should be equipped with a deadbolt lock, which should always be used have a security strike plate, attached with a minimum of two, three inch screws.
- If you have an alarm, always activate it when you are away.
- Use photo cells or timers to turn both interior and exterior lights on and off.
- If you are going to be out of town, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check on your home and pick up your mail. Sign-up for a vacation check from the police department at www.nbpd.org.
- If you see suspicious activity, vehicles, or people call the Newport Beach Police Department immediately at 949-644-3717.