Burglars recently made their way into unlocked homes in Newport Beach, police reported.
- Police say on Wednesday, Oct. 10 between noon and 6:30 p.m., an unknown suspect entered a home in the 1800 block of Santiago Drive. Police say the burglar removed a window screen, went into the home and ransacked several rooms before walking out the front door.
- On Monday, Oct. 8 between 6:45 a.m. and 1 p.m., an unknown suspect entered a home in the 7300 block of West Ocean Front. Police say the suspect got into the home through an unlocked side garage door and went upstairs to one of the bedrooms. According to police, the suspect was possibly scared away by the homeowner.
Home Security Tips:
- Close and lock all doors, windows and garage door.
- All exterior doors should be equipped with a deadbolt lock, which should always be used have a security strike plate, attached with a minimum of two, three inch screws.
- If you have an alarm, always activate it when you are away.
- Use photo cells or timers to turn both interior and exterior lights on and off.
- If you are going to be out of town, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check on your home and pick up your mail. Sign-up for a vacation check from the police department at www.nbpd.org
- If you see suspicious activity, vehicles, or people call the Newport Beach Police Department immediately at 949-644-3717.