A home in Newport Beach was recently burglarized and the victim's stolen credit cards were later used at several stores, police reported.
The burglary occurred on Tuesday, Oct. 30 between 4:30 and 7:30 p.m. at a home in the 200 block of La Jolla Drive. The suspect entered the home through an unlocked side gate and removed a purse from the kitchen counter.
According to police, the victim left her home for about 30 minutes to walk her dogs and when she returned, she discovered the gate open. The victim later realized her purse was stolen and her credit cards had been used at several stores.
Home Security Tips:
- Close and lock all doors, windows and garage door.
- All exterior doors should be equipped with a deadbolt lock, which should always be used have a security strike plate, attached with a minimum of two, three inch screws.
- If you have an alarm, always activate it when you are away.
- Use photo cells or timers to turn both interior and exterior lights on and off.
- If you are going to be out of town, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check on your home and pick up your mail. Signup for a vacation check from the police department at www.nbpd.org