A home in Newport Beach was recently ransacked and burglarized, police reported.
The burglary took place on Thursday, Feb. 28 between 8:55 a.m. and 10:50 a.m at a home in the 1500 block of Dorothy Lane. According to police, the suspect removed a window screen, opened an unlocked window in the back of the house and ransacked several rooms before fleeing.
Jewelry, a safe and a gun were reported stolen.
Home Security Tips:
- Close and lock all doors, windows and garage door.
- All exterior doors should be equipped with a deadbolt lock, which should always be used have a security strike plate, attached with a minimum of two, three inch screws.
- If you have an alarm, always activate it when you are away.
- Use photo cells or timers to turn both interior and exterior lights on and off.
- If you are going to be out of town, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check on your home and pick up your mail. Signup for a vacation check from the police department at www.nbpd.org.
Call police immediately if you see suspicious activity in your neighborhood at 949-644-3717.