Recent incidents in Newport Beach have police reminding residents to remain vigilant.
- Police say sometime between Sunday, Sept. 2 and Monday, Sept. 3 an unknown suspect entered a home in the 500 block of Orchid by removing a ground floor window screen. While the victim was asleep upstairs, the suspect roamed around the house then fled out the front door without stealing any property.
- Sometime between Wednesday, Aug. 22 and Wednesday, Sept. 5, an unknown suspect entered a home in the 3500 block of Seabreeze Lane through an unlocked door. The victim told police nothing was stolen.
Home Security Tips:
- Close and lock all doors, windows and garage door.
- All exterior doors should be equipped with a deadbolt lock, which should always be used have a security strike plate, attached with a minimum of two, three inch screws.
- If you have an alarm, always activate it when you are away.
- Use photo cells or timers to turn both interior and exterior lights on and off.
- If you are going to be out of town, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check on your home and pick up your mail. Sign up for a vacation check from the police department at www.nbpd.org
Newport Beach police say if you arrive at your home and notice something out of place that leads you to think someone has been in your home while you were out, go to a safe location and call 911. If you notice suspicious activity in your neighborhood, call 949-644-3717 immediately.