The burglary took place sometime between Monday, Oct. 28 at 1 p.m. and Saturday at 5 p.m. at a home in the 1900 block of Commodore. Police said the burglar forced entry into the home through a locked doggy door, ransacked several rooms and stole a laptop, jewelry, and other items before fleeing.
No other information was immediately available.
Home Security Tips:
- Close and lock all doors, windows and garage door.
- All exterior doors should be equipped with a deadbolt lock, which should always be used have a security strike plate, attached with a minimum of two, three inch screws.
- If you have an alarm, always activate it when you are away.
- Use photo cells or timers to turn both interior and exterior lights on and off.
- If you are going to be out of town, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check on your home and pick up your mail. Sign-up for a vacation check from the police department at www.nbpd.org.
If you see suspicious activity, vehicles, or people call the Newport Beach Police Department immediately at 949-644-3717.