A burglar recently broke into a Newport Beach home through a bathroom window, police reported.
The burglary took place at a home on Shoreview sometime between Dec. 24 at 4 p.m. and Monday, Jan. 7 at 11:30 a.m. According to police, an unknown suspect forced open a second floor bathroom window after gaining access to a second story balcony. Once inside the home, the suspect stole five watches, four pairs of cufflinks, 12 men's cashmere sweaters, a social security card and a passport from closets and exited the home through a downstairs door.
Home Security Tips:
- Close and lock all doors, windows and garage door.
- All exterior doors should be equipped with a deadbolt lock, which should always be used have a security strike plate, attached with a minimum of two, three inch screws.
- If you have an alarm, always activate it when you are away.
- Use photo cells or timers to turn both interior and exterior lights on and off.
- If you are going to be out of town, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check on your home and pick up your mail. Sign-up for a vacation check from the police department at www.nbpd.org.
If you see suspicious activity, vehicles, or people call the Newport Beach Police Department immediately at 949-644-3717.