A home in Newport Beach was recently burglarized and ransacked after a burglar cut a window screen, police reported.
The burglary took place on Wednesday, Jan. 9 between 9:08 a.m. and 9:45 a.m. at home in the 2600 block of Alta Vista. According to police, a suspect cut a window screen, pried the window out of the side door, entered the home and ransacked the bedrooms before fleeing with money, a pillow case and costume jewelry.
When the resident returned home, he was approached by a man while he was taking his groceries out of the car. Police say the victim believes the man was trying to keep him from going into the home. The man claimed to be a UCI student conducting a survey about police departments. He asked the victim several questions and disappeared after the victim went inside.
Police say the suspect was in his mid-20’s with dark brown hair, brown eyes, a goatee, and was last seen wearing a gray sweatshirt with “CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC” written on the front. He was seen driving in an older, dark gray compact car similar to a KIA.
Home Security Tips:
- Close and lock all doors, windows and garage door.
- All exterior doors should be equipped with a deadbolt lock, which should always be used have a security strike plate, attached with a minimum of two, three inch screws.
- If you have an alarm, always activate it when you are away.
- Use photo cells or timers to turn both interior and exterior lights on and off.
- If you are going to be out of town, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check on your home and pick up your mail. Signup for a vacation check from the police department at www.nbpd.org