A burglar cut a window screen and stole items from a Newport Beach home while the residents were asleep, police reported.
The burglary at the home in the 200 block of Prospect Street occurred between Friday, Oct. 26 at 10 p.m. and Saturday, Oct. 27 at 8:30 a.m. According to police, the suspect cut the front window screen, reached through and removed five slats from the louvered window and stole a MacBook Pro laptop from the kitchen table.
Police said the victims were asleep in the home and did not discover their home had been broken into until the next morning.
Home Security Tips:
- Close and lock all doors, windows and garage door.
- All exterior doors should be equipped with a deadbolt lock, which should always be used have a security strike plate, attached with a minimum of two, three inch screws.
- If you have an alarm, always activate it when you are away.
- Use photo cells or timers to turn both interior and exterior lights on and off.
- If you are going to be out of town, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check on your home and pick up your mail. Sign up for a vacation check from the police department at www.nbpd.org
Newport Beach police say if you arrive at your home and notice something out of place that leads you to think someone has been in your home while you were out, go to a safe location and call 911. If you notice suspicious activity in your neighborhood, call 949-644-3717 immediately.