A burglar entered a home on Dover Drive, but fled before taking any items, Newport Beach police reported.
The burglary was reported Thursday about 9:50 a.m. in the 1500 block of Dover Drive. According to police, an unknown suspect entered the victim’s backyard through a side gate. The suspect then cut the screen on the laundry room door window, reached in and unlocked the door.
The suspect went into the home and tried to remove the victim’s property, but the home alarm was activated and the suspect fled out the front door.
Home Security Tips:
- Close and lock all doors, windows and garage door.
- All exterior doors should be equipped with a deadbolt lock, which should always be used have a security strike plate, attached with a minimum of two, three inch screws.
- If you have an alarm, always activate it when you are away.
- Use photo cells or timers to turn both interior and exterior lights on and off.
- If you are going to be out of town, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check on your home and pick up your mail. Sign-up for a vacation check from the police department at www.nbpd.org
- If you see suspicious activity, vehicles, or people call the Newport Beach Police Department immediately at 949-644-3717.