A burglar tried to break into a Newport Beach home but fled without taking any items, police reported.
The incident took place sometime between Thursday, Dec. 20 at 4 p.m. and Friday, Dec. 21 at 2 p.m. at a home in the 2600 block of Blue Water Drive. According to police, an unknown suspect pried open the victim’s rear sliding glass door, defeating the locking mechanism.
Police say the property inside the house did not appear to be disturbed and no items were missing.
Home Security Tips:
- Close and lock all doors, windows and garage door.
- All exterior doors should be equipped with a deadbolt lock, which should always be used have a security strike plate, attached with a minimum of two, three inch screws.
- If you have an alarm, always activate it when you are away.
- Use photo cells or timers to turn both interior and exterior lights on and off.
- If you are going to be out of town, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check on your home and pick up your mail. Sign-up for a vacation check from the police department at www.nbpd.org.
If you see suspicious activity, vehicles, or people call the Newport Beach Police Department immediately at 949-644-3717.