Thousands of people are expected to take part in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure on Sunday at Fashion Island, and police want to make sure drivers are aware of road closures that will be in effect.
Last year, race participants raised $3 million for breast cancer research. If you still need to register, you can do so at the East Parking Lot of the Pacific Life Building on the corner of Newport Center Drive and Santa Cruz on Sunday from 6:30 to 9:30 a.m.
Don't forget! Beginning on Sunday at about 4:30 a.m. the following streets will be closed to make way for the race:
- Newport Center Drive - closed in both directions except between Santa Rosa Drive and San Miguel Drive.
- Santa Cruz Drive - from Newport Center Drive to San Joaquin Hills
- San Clemente Drive- from Santa Cruz Drive to Santa Maria Drive
- Santa Maria Drive - from San Clemente Drive to Newport Center Drive
- Farallon Drive - from Newport Center Drive to Avocado Avenue
- Avocado Avenue - from San Miguel Drive to Corona Del Mar Plaza entrance
- San Miguel Drive - from Avocado Avenue to Newport Center Drive
- Anacapa Drive - from Newport Center Drive to Farallon Drive
The roads are expected to be reopened by 2:00 p.m., with some opening earlier. Race participants are encouraged to use free offsite parking and the shuttle services from 6 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. at the following locations:
- University Research Park – 5201 – 5251 California Ave, Irvine
- Corona del Mar High School – 2101 Eastbluff Drive, Newport Beach
- Corporate Plaza Parking Lots – East Coast Highway & Newport Center Drive