An alarm system kept a burglar from getting into a home in Cameo Shores, Newport Beach police reported.
The incident took place on Friday, Feb. 8 between 12:55 and 4:33 p.m. at a home in the 300 block of Cameo Shores. According to police, an unknown suspect entered the resident's garage through a window and then used a tool to pry open the door leading into the home.
Police say during the burglary the suspect set off the alarm, which is believed to have scared the burglar away. Nothing was reported missing and no suspects were seen of heard.
Home Security Tips:
- Close and lock all doors, windows and garage door.
- All exterior doors should be equipped with a deadbolt lock, which should always be used have a security strike plate, attached with a minimum of two, three inch screws.
- If you have an alarm, always activate it when you are away.
- Use photo cells or timers to turn both interior and exterior lights on and off.
- If you are going to be out of town, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check on your home and pick up your mail. Signup for a vacation check from the police department at www.nbpd.org
- If you see suspicious activity, vehicles, or people call the Newport Beach Police Department immediately at 949-644-3717.