According to police, between June 25 and July 20 several third-row seat thefts were reported in Newport Beach. In most cases, the thefts occurred within a residential neighborhood and in public parking lots. Most of the cars were locked. Police said in one case, a suspect stole a stereo but was unable to snag the third-row seat because it was secured with a cable bike lock.
- 2200 block of Cliff Drive on July 20
- 900 block of Kings Road on July 20
- 700 block of Cliff Drive on July 20
- 900 block of Newport Center Drive West on June 30
- 4100 block of Colony Plz on June 25
The following tips are recommended to keep your third-row seats secure:
- Use a bicycle-style cable lock to secure the third-row seat to your vehicle.
- Remove the seat when not in use.
- Park your vehicle in the garage.
- Engrave the VIN number or your driver license number on the seat frame.
- Consider parking in an open lot. At night, make sure the lot is well-lighted. Most of the thefts have occurred in parking structures.
- When possible, back your vehicle in against a solid object to prevent access to the rear of your vehicle.
- Close all windows and lock all doors.
Facebook. Follow us on Twitter and Sign up for the daily email with links to the latest local news.