The city of Newport Beach has been collecting care package items for the Newport Beach 1st Battalion, 1st Marines, but more donations are needed.
Fire Captain Brian McDonough, who is overseeing the collection drive for the troops who are getting ready to head back to Afghanistan for another deployment, says the community's help is still needed.
“There are about 1,200 Marines in the 1/1 and we could use a lot more of all of the supplies based on what we have seen so far,” McDonough said.
The care packages are used to help bring the comforts of home to the Marines during their service overseas. Beef jerkey, toiletries, Mach 3 Razors, Crystal Light and Emergen-C drink packets, baby wipes, black and white socks, foot powder, cooling gel, double AA batteries, snacks, magazines, protein powder and letters thanking the Marines for their duty can be dropped off at fire stations in Newport Beach.
- Balboa Peninsula Fire Station #1 - 110 E. Balboa Blvd.
- Lido Fire Station #2 - 475 32nd St.
- Fashion Island Fire Station #3 - 868 Santa Barbara Dr.
- Balboa Island Fire Station #4 - 124 Marine Ave.
- Corona del Mar Fire Station #5 - 410 Marigold
- Mariners Fire Station #6 - 1348 Irvine Ave.
- Santa Ana Heights Fire Station #7 - 20401 Acacia St.
- Newport Coast Fire Station #8 - 6502 Ridge Park Rd.
- City Of Newport Beach Recreation and Services Department - 3300 Newport Blvd.
For more information about the care packages, send an email to email@example.com or call 949-385-1110.