'Flash Fire' Torches Chef at St. Regis Resort

The Dana Point hotel suffers about $2,000 in damage Thursday morning.

A small burner ignited by a chef at the St. Regis Resort Monarch Beach in Dana Point caught fire Thursday morning, causing about $2,000 in damage, officials said.

The chef is "lucky to be alive," said Orange County Fire Authority spokesman Capt. Marc Stone.

When the camp-style burner caught fire around 8:45 a.m. Thursday, the result was a "flash fire," authorities said.

The incident occurred near the golf course, in the Club 19 restaurant, which was evacuated and remains closed, according to the hotel.

The chef, who was burned over 18 percent of his body, was taken to a local hospital with burn injuries. Nobody else was hurt, authorities said.

"We were mostly concerned about smoke inhalation, that is why he was transported to a hospital," Stone said.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »