Balboa Boardsports suggests getting out of the house to shop for those who are used to getting out of the house.
In urging locals to shop locally instead of online, the Balboa Island boutique, which carries skateboards, paddleboards and surfboards, has these last-minute-gift ideas:
- Penny skateboards ($99 and up): These plastic skateboards are available in two styles. The Penny board is 22 inches; the Nickel board is 27. Both feature brightly colored components (decks, trucks, wheels) that can be mixed and matched. During the holidays, Balboa Boardsports will customize Pennyboard colors at no extra cost.
- Braker boards ($299 and up): Braker longboards are made of sustainable hardwoods and laminated with water-based adhesives. The decks are constructed with multiple layers and are cambered from end to end for a responsive ride.
- Altered electric skateboards ($699): The Altered Pro-Line 600 V3, an electric skateboard with a wireless handheld controller, lets you travel at up to 19 mph. Its range is 6 to 8 miles.
- A gift card for paddleboard rentals: Rates are $25 per hour, $50 for three hours.
- Clothing and accessories: Merchandise includes apparel from Roark (Laguna Beach), Oakley sunglasses (Irvine), Electric (San Clemente), Amphibian apparel (Costa Mesa), Vartanian apparel (Costa Mesa), Volcom (Costa Mesa) and Spruce, a new company started by a pair of students at Corona del Mar High School.
- Balboa Boardsports gear ($22 and up): Items include T-shirts, sweatshirts and women’s tops with the Balboa Boardsports logo, created by artist Kyle Warner.
Balboa Boardsports is at 213 Marine Ave., Balboa Island. The store's winter hours are Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.