A group of Southern California celebrities volunteered some of their holiday time to sing an updated holiday classic in hopes of raising money for mammograms.
Thirteen celebrities, including Wheel of Fortune co-host Vanna White, former Real Housewife of Orange County Peggy Tanous, Miss California 2012 Leah Cecil and baseball great and dugout prankster Jay Johnstone, lent their singing chops to Susan G. Komen Orange County to sing a parody of the holiday classic "Winter Wonderland."
The original words of the song were changed into lyrics to ask the public to donate money for life-saving mammograms for uninsured women and men. Lisa Wolter, executive director of Susan G. Komen Orange County, says breast health care is a basic necessity for women and early detection is a woman’s best protection against dying from breast cancer.
"We don’t want women to have to choose between buying groceries and getting a potentially life-saving mammogram," Wolter told Patch. "We wanted to reach our audience in a fun and unique way in an effort to raise awareness about the importance of early detection in hopes of inspiring people to donate a mammogram for a woman in need."
Be sure to watch the video, and to find out how you can donate to the mammogram cause, visit komenoc.org.
Also featured in the video is:
- Steve Churm: Orange County Publishing Trailblazer/CEO, Churm Media
- Ed Arnold: Television Newsman Extraordinaire, co-host of PBS SoCal’s “Real Orange."
- Corky Carroll: Hall of Famer and world’s first professional surfer
- Bruno Serato: Award-winning Restaurateur, Anaheim White House/2011 CNN Hero
- Shawn Parr: Country radio personality
- Kurt Rambis: NBA world champion and ESPN analyst
- Mildred Garcia: President, Cal State University, Fullerton
- Hans Stolfus: volleyball champion and silver medalist
- Laura Ratto: National Volleyball League