Yes, yes, I know. You just got back from a trip to Vegas - most of which you can't remember - and spent all your summer money at one blackjack table, double fisting Gucci shopping bags or tickets to see Celine Dion for the third time (yes, you mom). How ironic that all of your friends were hibernating before you left, and now you want to go do summer fun things that seem to all cost a crispy Benjamin.
Let go of the angst and take a deep breath because there are plenty of fun, inexpensive and even free things to do in Newport Beach this summer. If you need to see it to believe it, just check out the following list of unbelievable offers.
Free! Free! Free!
- Concerts in the Park - Come to the Bob Henry Park, 900 Dover Drive, on Sunday, July 22 for a free outdoor concert. The Bracken Band will be performing from 6-7:30 p.m. Don't forget blankets and beach chairs.
- Zumba class with Sangrias - Fashion Island and Lululemon Athletica are shaking booties every Monday evening from 6-7 p.m. with a complimentary Zumba class. Afterwards head inside for more complimentary snacks and sangria from nearby sponsor Native Foods.
- Summer Reading Program - The Newport Beach Library has an amazing Summer Reading Program for kids, teens and adults. All you have to do is read five books, review them and be rewarded a free paperback book. After two books you are entered in a grand prize drawing for tickets to a cultural event and theatre event hosted by the NBPL Foundation. Join fellow readers August 9th for a wrap up reception with refreshments and prize drawings at the Mariners Branch from 2 - 4 p.m.
$15 and under
- Fun Zone Boat Company Friday Sunset Harbor Cruise: Bring your own booze and food and enjoy a relaxing (with photo frenzy tourists) sunset tour of Newport Harbor. Tickets are just $10 every Friday with cruises departing at 7 p.m.
- Newport Beach Film Festival and OCMA present Cinema Orange Outdoor Summer Film Series - Bring your friends, enjoy gourmet food trucks and with an admission price of just $12 (free for OCMA members) get a sneak peek of the current art exhibit at the Orange County Museum of Art and an outdoor documentaries about influential tastemakers and iconic artists and designers. Visit NBFF facebook page for details or read our story about the summer film series here.
- Happy Hour in Newport Beach - Yes it can be done for under $15. Here's a short list: Crow Bar Thursday Night Social 10 p.m: $4.50 beers, $5 wines, $5 Burgers, $8 flatbreads; El Ranchito 4-6 p.m: $4 Mexican Beers, $5 Margaritas; SOL Cocina Tuesday all night long: $4 Beer, $5 Margaritas; The Alley (any time of night, any day of the week): 5 for $5 appetizer menu including Bar Burger, tacos and quesadillas.
$30 and under
- Pirate Paddle Co. Sunset Paddle + Happy Hour at Newport Dunes - You know you've always wanted to try Stand Up Paddle boarding (SUP), now you can. For just $25 you receive an hour of stand up paddle with mini lesson beforehand. Check in time is at 6:30 p.m. every Wednesday evening, perfect time before the sun goes down. Afterwards, brush off your sandy feet and head to the Back Bay Bistro where Pirate Paddlers will receive a free Happy Hour drink and major discounts (just $3) for appetizers, well drinks, and wine.
- Savory Spice Shop Bacon Bacon Bacon Cooking Class - Today at 6:30 p.m. join other foodies for an epic event. Homemade bacon class! Jeff will show you how to cure our own bacon, make 3 flavors and end the evening with BLTs that will knock your socks off! He’ll also be creating aiolis and side dishes to compliment it all. As always, BYOB. This class will fill up fast so call the shop at 949-717-7776 to reserve your spot. Read our story about the shop's cooking classes here.