A brand new megayacht anchored in Newport Harbor Friday, despite concerns from some residents.
Invictus, a 216-foot-long yacht owned by L.A. developer Rick Caruso, arrived in Newport Beach on Friday evening. Earlier this month the Newport Beach Harbor Commission approved a pilot project to
allow megayachts to anchor in Newport Bay. Some residents have opposed the megayachts saying the large vessels will be bright, noisy and fume-generating intrusions on Newport Bay.
Harbor Commissioner Brad Avery told the Orange County Register the megayachts permission was granted on a trial run basis.
“We’re a world-class harbor,” Avery told the newspaper. “We have a strong boating
community and what better way to signal that then by welcoming the
latest and greatest vessel from an American shipyard.”
Caruso reportedly has plans to host a small wedding on Invictus this fall, and will anchor off
Lido Island for 16 days.
Along with the Invictus, a 130-foot yacht will also be temporarily mooring in Newport Harbor for a short period of time at the end of September.