The city of Newport Beach is asking the community to donate items to be used in care packages for the Newport Beach 1st Battalion, 1st Marines.
The troops are getting ready to head back to Afghanistan for another deployment and are in need of care packages. Care packages bring the comforts of home to the Marines during their service overseas. City officials say a package of wet wipes is often the closest thing to a shower the troops get, books and magazines help the Marines relax a bit and all items show their community's support.
Beef jerkey, toiletries, Mach 3 Razors, Crystal Light and Emergen-C drink packets, baby wipes, black and white socks, foot powder, cooling gel, double AA batteries, snacks, magazines, protein powder and letters thanking the Marines for their duty can be dropped off at fire stations in Newport Beach through Tuesday, July 10.
- Balboa Peninsula Fire Station #1 - 110 E. Balboa Blvd.
- Lido Fire Station #2 - 475 32nd St.
- Fashion Island Fire Station #3 - 868 Santa Barbara Dr.
- Balboa Island Fire Station #4 - 124 Marine Ave.
- Corona del Mar Fire Station #5 - 410 Marigold
- Mariners Fire Station #6 - 1348 Irvine Ave.
- Santa Ana Heights Fire Station #7 - 20401 Acacia St.
- Newport Coast Fire Station #8 - 6502 Ridge Park Rd.
- City Of Newport Beach Recreation and Services Department - 3300 Newport Blvd.
For more information about the care packages, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 949-385-1110.