1. Today at 1:30 p.m., the Board of Library Trustees will hold a special meeting to discuss the recruitment and appointment process to find a new library services director. The meeting will be held at the Central Library, in the Friends Room, 1000 Avocado Ave. Cynthia Cowell, the library's current director, announced last month she is retiring in October.
2. Tomorrow at 9 a.m. join Cristin Fusano, a kitchen gardening expert, at Roger's Gardens as she demonstrates how to use vegetables and herbs from your garden
to make her famous barbequed Neapolitan pizza. She will show you how
easy it is to put together all the fixings for a pizza party. Roger's Gardens is located at 2301 San Joaquin Hills Rd. in Corona del Mar. For more information call 949-640-5800.
3. The Ribs, Pigs and Watermelons Beer Festival and Pro Barbecue Competition begins at 5 p.m. Friday in Huntington Beach. The three-day event includes a kids barbecue-eating competition, a watermelon seed spitting contest and live entertainment. It’s at Beach Boulevard and Pacific Coast Highway, Lot 10.
4. The Crossroads of the West Gun Show kicks off at 9 a.m. Sunday at the OC Fair and Event Center. Main Mall, Santa Ana Pavilion and the Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, Anaheim and Los Alamitos buildings, 88 Fair Drive, Costa Mesa.
5. Today will start off cloudy in the morning, but will become mostly sunny. Near the coast highs will be about 67-72, inland areas 85-90, according to the National Weather Service.